Protein: Seafood, Ahi Tuna
Method: Flat Top, GriddleJump to Recipe
Looking for a quick and easy Ahi Tuna recipe? This Everything Bagel Seasoned Seared Ahi Tuna is the perfect recipe to make on a griddle or flat top like a Blackstone, but it can be made just as easily in a heavy bottomed pan. This Ahi recipe is ready to eat in under 15 minutes, including making a simple spicy avocado sauce to serve with the seared fish.
What is Everything Bagel Seasoning?
Everything Bagel seasoning is a classic topping for bagels consisting of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dehydrated garlic, onion, and salt. While it was developed for bagels, this multipurpose seasoning is great on other foods too like popcorn or breads, and everything bagel seasoning is fantastic on seafood, like this seared Ahi tuna.
How to select the best Tuna for the Blackstone Seared Ahi Tuna
Ahi tuna is best served seared on the outside and rare on the inside. As such, you want to select fresh or flash frozen tuna. Look for Ahi tuna that labelled as sushi grade. While this may be a bit of a misnomer, as tuna fish is not actually graded, it does indicate that the fish was likely handled in a way that it is safer for eating rare. Tuna that is deep red in color and shiny is an indication of quality tuna. Avoid tuna that looks pale, discolored, brown, or dry as these are indicators that the tuna may not be very fresh.
Making the Everything Bagel Seared Ahi Tuna
To prepare the dish you just need to make a quick Avocado sauce and prepare the tuna. Sautéed veggies are an optional side for the seared tuna as well.
Making Homemade Spicy Avocado Jalapeno Sauce
This homemade Jalapeno-Avocado Sauce only takes about 5 minutes to make and is a great addition to the Ahi Tuna. To make the spicy sauce you will need an avocado, 1 jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, olive oil and salt.
Halve the jalapeno and remove the seeds and stem, and halve the avocado and remove the pit. Place the garlic, salt and jalapeno in a food processor and chop until finely chopped. Next, with the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil until the sauce is smooth and evenly combined Finally, add in the cilantro and avocado and blend until evenly mixed.
Be sure to give some of our other homemade sauce recipes a try:
- Authentic Peruvian Green Sauce: Aji Verde
- Smoked German Beer Cheese Sauce
- Best Alabama White BBQ Sauce
- Zesty Pizza Sauce
- Malbec Sauce For Steak
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Easy Chimichurri Recipe
Seasoning the tuna steaks
Prepare the tuna by rinsing and then patting dry. Rub the Ahi tuna down with olive oil, then generously season both sides of the tuna steak with the Everything Bagel Seasoning. Press the seasoning onto the tuna to be certain that it sticks well.
Searing the Everything Bagel Crusted Tuna Steak
Prepare your Blackstone, flat top, griddle, or frying pan by heating to high heat.
Sear the seasoned tuna steaks for about 1-2 minutes per side for traditional seared, rare tuna, or cook longer to your desired doneness.
Looking for more of the best Blackstone Recipes? Be sure to check out our list of the best Blackstone griddle, and flat top recipes to try this summer.
Remove the seared ahi tuna to a cutting board and cut into thin slices.
Serve with the spicy jalapeno-avocado sauce.
This seared Everything Bagel tuna is great as an appetizer, or you can serve it as a meal with sides like grilled vegetables, our mashed potato cakes, or Jalapeno coleslaw. It also pairs well with our grilled endive salad, or summer salad with fried Boursin and raspberry vinaigrette.
For more great tuna and fish recipes to make on your grill or smoker, here are some of our favorites:
- Wicked Good Grilled Tuna Fish Sandwich: Spicy Tuna Melt
- Ahi Wonton Tacos With Wasabi Sauce
- Grilled Red Snapper Escovitch
- Ooni Wood Plank Salmon
- Mahi Mahi Tacos with Chipotle Crema and Mango Salsa
- Grilled Feta and Orzo Stuffed Branzino
- Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi With Coconut Sauce
- Bacon Wrapped Halibut Cheeks
Thank you for taking the time to visit our blog. If you tried and enjoyed our recipe, please share with others and please leave us a comment and review. We also love to see your pics so don’t forget to tag us @Carne_Diem_Culinary or #CarneDiemBlog. To be notified of future recipes please follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest, or sign up for our e-mail notifications. Until next time, Carne Diem!
Everything Bagel Seared Ahi Tuna
- 2 Ahi Tuna Steaks about 4 ounces each
- 2 Tablespoons Everything Bagel Seasoning
Avocado Jalapeno Sauce
- 1 Avocado Halved, pit removed
- 1 Jalapeno halved, seeds removed
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- ½ Cup Cilantro
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
Jalapeno Avocado Sauce
- Halve the jalapeno and remove the seeds and stem, and halve the avocado and remove the pit. Peel the garlic cloves. Rinse the cilantro and remove stems.
- Place the garlic, salt and jalapeno in a food processor and chop until finely chopped. Next, with the food processor running slowly add the olive oil until the sauce is smooth and evenly combined.
- Finally, add in the cilantro and avocado and blend until evenly mixed.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until needed.
Everything Bagel Ahi Tuna
- Rinse the tuna and pat dry. Rub with olive oil then generously season both sides with Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Heat your Blackstone, griddle, flat top, or pan over high heat. Sear the Ahi tuna steaks for about 1-2 minutes per side for rare, or add additional time to cook to your liking.
- Remove to a cutting board and slice thinly. Serve the seared tuna with the spicy avocado sauce.