Method: Grill or Flat TopJump to Recipe
I love cheeseburgers because they give you the opportunity to experiment with different flavors and methods. Inspiration for a great cheeseburger can come from anywhere. This cheese stuffed Mexican burger was inspired by some chorizo burgers I had recently while in Mexico and the famous Juicy Lucy burgers in Minnesota.
This Mexican Chorizo burger brings the flavors of south of the border to your grill. These are not your everyday burgers. These Mexican burgers are a blend of ground sirloin and chorizo. The seasoned burgers are then stuffed with Mexican melting cheese making a Mexican Style Juicy Lucy Burger. Finally, the stuffed chorizo burgers are topped with pico, avocado, lettuce and tomato. These burgers are perfect for grilling or cooking on a flat top griddle like a Blackstone.
Making the queso stuffed burgers
To make the Mexican style burgers you will need ground beef (we prefer sirloin), beef chorizo, burger seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce. You will also need an avocado, pico de gallo, and other favorite toppings like lettuce and tomato.
Best cheese for Mexican Burgers
When making these cheese stuffed burgers, we like to use a high-quality Mexican melting cheese. Oaxaca cheese is our favorite as it melts perfectly, for that melty cheese perfection. Chihuahua and queso asadero are also great choices.
Prepare the beef and chorizo hamburger patties
To make the chorizo burgers, combine the ground beef and beef chorizo in a medium bowl and mix to combine. Next, add in about 1 tablespoon of your favorite burger seasoning or try our Quick and Easy Burger Seasoning. Add in 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and mix well to combine.
Have extra chorizo? Why not try our Asiago Cream Nachos with Blackened Chicken and Chorizo.
Once the meat is mixed, divide the meat into 6 equal sized balls, about 4 ounces each. Form the balls into flat burger patties. You can do this by hand or use a burger press. Weston makes a reasonably priced burger press that is durable and works well.
Once you have formed your patties, top half of the chorizo burger patties with some melting cheese.
Finally, top the cheese topped burgers with the other patties and pinch the edges to seal the cheese stuffed burgers together. If desired, season the outside of the stuffed chorizo burgers with some additional burger seasoning. The Mexican style Juicy Lucy Burgers are ready for the grill.
Grilling the Chorizo Cheeseburgers
Heat your grill to medium-high heat and set up for direct cooking. We made these stuffed Mexican burgers on our PK grill, but they turn out great on any grill like a Weber, pellet grill, or ceramic like a Big Green Egg.
Cook the grilled sirloin and chorizo burger for about 3-5 minutes per side. Top with additional melting cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or pepperjack cheese if you want to add a little kick. Continue to grill the cheese stuffed Mexican burgers to your desired doneness.
Serving the Oaxaca Stuffed Burgers
We like to top the cheese stuffed Mexican cheeseburger with some chipotle mayo, iceberg lettuce, sliced tomato, and fresh pick de gallo. Sliced avocado also makes a great addition to the burger.
Other optional toppings, like pickles, grilled onions, bacon or jalapenos also work well with this Tex-Mex style burger.
For more of the best burger and sandwich recipes, give some of these great tasting recipes a try:
- Dutch Oven Crumbly Burger: Maid Rite Style Loose Meat Sandwich
- Spicy Double Smash Burger on Texas Toast
- Beef Tostada Burger with Bacon Patty
- Brisket Burger Sliders with Horseradish Aioli
- New York Chopped Cheese Sandwich
- Uruguay's Chivito: The Ultimate Steak Sandwich
- Grilled Cubano
- Caribbean Roast Pork Sandwich
Thank you for taking the time to visit our blog. If you tried and enjoyed our recipe please share with others and please leave us a comment and review. We also love to see your pics so don’t forget to tag us @Carne_Diem_Culinary or #CarneDiemBlog. To be notified of future recipes please follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest, or sign up for our e-mail notifications. Until next time, Carne Diem!
Stuffed Mexican Chorizo Burger
- 1 Pound Ground Sirloin
- 0.5 pounds Beef Chorizo
- 1 Tablespoon Burger Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 6 Ounce Oaxaca Cheese
- 1 Avocado
- Pico de Gallo
- 1 Tomato Sliced
- Chipotle Mayo Optional
- 3 burger buns
Making the cheese stuffed burger patties
- Combine the ground beef and beef chorizo in a medium bowl and mix to combine. Add in about 1 tablespoon of your favorite burger seasoning and 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and mix well to combine.
- Divide the meat into 6 equal sized balls, about 4 ounces each then form the balls into flat burger patties.
- Place a roughly, 1 tablespoon sized ball of cheese onto 3 of the meat patties, then top with the other 3 patties. Press the edges of the burger down to seal.
Grilling the Cheese Stuffed Chorizo Burgers
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat, or about 400 degrees. If desired season the stuffed cheeseburger patties with additional burger seasoning.
- Grill the burgers for about 3-5 minutes per side then flip one additional time and top with cheese. Continue to cook to desired doneness.
- Slather the bottom bun with chipotle mayo, then add lettuce and tomato. Add the Mexican burger patty and then top with pico de gallo and avocado.