Last Updated on February 8, 2022 by Carne Diem
Origin: North American, American
Method: Stovetop or FryerJump to Recipe
With Super Bowl Sunday just around the corner we find ourselves going through some of our favorite game day recipes to make for the big game. Our game day foods are always heavy on dips and small sharable plates like our Fried Sausage Wontons. Buffalo chicken dip also almost always makes an appearance. As a result, we almost always had a few leftover wonton wrappers and occasionally some leftover buffalo chicken dip. Thus, our Buffalo Chicken Wontons were born. Let me tell you, they have definitely become a household favorite.
Making the Buffalo Chicken Wontons
To make this simple fried wonton recipe you will need a chicken breast, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, blue cheese dressing, wonton wrappers, and a bottle of your favorite buffalo sauce. You will also need some cooking oil for frying.
Prepare the Buffalo Chicken Dip
After gathering your ingredients, you will want to pre-cook your chicken. You can either bake or boil the chicken breast based on your preference. If you are really a spice lover, dust the chicken breast with a little bit of Cajun seasoning. Use your favorite brand or any that you have left from making our Blackened Chicken a la Mer.
After cooking the chicken, shred the chicken breast into a bowl. Mix in the softened cream cheese, hot sauce, blue cheese dressing, and shredded cheddar cheese. Warm the mixture in a small pan or crock pot. Mix well until combined and the cheese is all melted. At this point you have made a fantastic buffalo chicken dip, but we are here for the wontons so let's proceed.
Place the buffalo chicken dip in your refrigerator for a couple hours to chill.
Form Your Wontons
When you are ready to fill your wontons, lay out the wonton wrappers on a piece of parchment paper or pan. Place a heaping teaspoon of the buffalo dip in the center of the wonton wrapper.
Fold the wrapper over to form a triangle. Next fold up the corners at the base of the triangle to complete your wonton. It may be helpful to slightly moisten the edges of the wonton wrappers to help the, stay sealed.
Fry Your Buffalo Chicken Wontons
Heat your cooking oil in a pot or fryer to about 350 degrees. Working in batches, fry the wontons until they are golden brown on the outside. Typically, this takes about 3-5 minutes. Remove the fried wontons from the oil and allow them to cool slightly on a paper towel lined platter or plate.
After allowing to drain, place the fried wontons on your serving dish and drizzle with additional buffalo sauce and sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles. Serve warm.
Enjoy the game and dig in!
If you can't get enough spice in your life, check out our fiery recipes for Caribbean Fire Shrimp, Taiwanese Night Market Spicy Fried Chicken, and our Spicy, Bacon Wrapped Shrimp: Bottle Rocket Shrimp.
Thank you for taking the time to visit our blog. If you tried and enjoyed our recipe, please share with others and please leave us a comment and review. We also love to see your pics so don’t forget to tag us @Carne_Diem_Culinary or #CarneDiemBlog. To be notified of future recipes please follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest, or sign up for our e-mail notifications. Until next time, Carne Diem!
Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- Pot or fryer
- 1 Large Chicken Breast
- 8 ounce Cream Cheese
- ¾ Cup Buffalo Sauce or Hot Sauce such as Frank's
- 1.5 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- ½ Cup Blue Cheese Dressing
- ½ package Wonton Wrappers
- Bake or boil the chicken breast until cooked through. For a little extra spice, dust it with some Cajun seasoning.
- Shred the chicken into a bowl and then combine with the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, hot sauce and blue cheese dressing.
- Warm the mixture in a small pot or crock pot and mix to combine and to melt all of the cheese. After mixing refrigerate the mixture for 2 hours to chill.
- Place the wonton wrappers on a piece of parchment paper. Add a heaping teaspoon of the buffalo chicken dip to the center of the wonton wrappers.
- Fold the wonton wrappers into a triangle then bring the corners of the base of the triangle to complete forming your wontons.
- Preheat your oil in a pan of fryer to 350 degrees. Working in batches, fry the wontons in the oil for about 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a plate or pan lined with paper towels and allow to drain.
- Move the cooked Buffalo Chicken Wontons to a serving plate and drizzle with a little extra buffalo sauce and sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles. Serve warm.