Last Updated on November 21, 2023 by Carne Diem
Method: Pizza Oven, Oven, or SmokerJump to Recipe
This zesty pizza dip has been a family favorite appetizer recipe for years. We didn't think this easy party dip recipe could get any better until we started making it in our cast iron pan on our grill and in our Ooni pizza oven. Now it is in regular rotation for a great appetizer to go with pizza night in our house. The Cast Iron Pizza Dip also makes a great tailgating recipe to make on your grill or smoker.
Table of contents
Making the Wood Fire Pizza Dip
To make this wood fire pizza dip you will need cream cheese, pepperoni, green onion, sour cream, oregano, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and mozzarella. You can also use other toppings as desired, like spicy salami.
What toppings are best for pizza dip?
We typically keep our pizza dip pretty straight forward with the addition of pepperoni, green onion, and some spicy salami. Sky is the limit, however, when it comes to the possibilities for what to use in your pizza dip. Sausage, olives, mushrooms, and diced bell pepper all make great additions. Let's just agree to not use pineapple.
Prep the pepperoni and salami by cutting into fourths. Keeping the pepperoni and salami bite sized, helps with the consistency of the cast iron pizza dip. Next, finely chop the green onions.
Shred the mozzarella and set aside.
What cheese is best for pizza dip
A low moisture mozzarella works best for the wood fired pizza dip. Avoid pre-shredded cheese, as these contain anticaking agents that can affect the melting of the cheese. If using fresh mozzarella, squeeze out as much moisture as possible by pressing the cheese between some paper towels. This helps prevent liquid from pooling on top of the dip.
Prepare the Cream Cheese Layer
To make the cream cheese layer, bring 2 blocks of cream cheese to room temperature. Mix the softened cream cheese with the sour cream, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, and garlic powder. This can be done by hand or with a hand mixer. Mix until well combined and smooth.
Assemble the layered pizza dip
Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture on the bottom of a cast iron pan or Ooni skillet or Sizzler Pan. This cast iron pizza dip is so quick and easy, and makes for a great party appetizer.
Top the cream cheese layer with pizza sauce. Use your favorite sauce or make a killer New York Style sauce at home. Next, layer the pepperonis, salami, and green onion. Finally, top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
Cooking the Wood Fire Pizza Dip
This cast iron pazza dip can be cooked in a pizza oven such as a Ooni or can be made on your grill or smoker. Of course, you can make the pizza dip in your oven too, but what is the fun in that.
Cooking Pizza Dip in a Pizza Oven
This wood fire dip is a favorite appetizer to make in your wood fire oven like an Ooni. It is a simple recipe that can be made mostly ahead of time so all you need to do is throw it in the oven a few minutes before you are ready to eat.
Heat your Ooni or other pizza oven to 400 degrees. Cook the wood fired pizza dip until melted and bubbly, about 15 to 20 minutes. Rotate the pan about every 5 minutes and monitor to make sure the dip is not burning.
Be sure to check out some of our other great pizza and Italian recipes for your Ooni pizza oven or home oven:
- Chicago Tavern Style Pizza
- Pizza Oven Sausage and Pepperoni Stromboli
- Detroit Style Pizza on Your BBQ Grill
- Traditional Turkish Pide: Turkish Flatbread Pizza
- Pequod's Inspired Cast Iron Pizza
- Smoked Meatballs with Burrata
- Grilled Italian Sausage Pasta with Arrabbiata Sauce
Making Pizza Dip on a Grill or Smoker
To make the pizza dip on a grill or smoker, set up for indirect heat and preheat the smoker to about 350 degrees. Cook for about 30 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted. We cooked this cast iron dip on a Big Green Egg, but the dip turns out well on a pellet smoker like a Yoder or Traeger for those wanting a little less smoke flavor.
Making the Pizza Dip in a Home Oven
You can, of course, may this zesty pizza dip in a home oven if you choose not to make it in a pizza oven or on a grill. To make the pizza dip in an oven follow the same recipe as above but bake in your oven at about 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
For more great dip and appetizer recipes be sure to check out some of our current favorites:
- Smoked Taco Dip
- Cast Iron Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Smoked Bacon Pimento Cheese
- Smoked Jalapeno-Cilantro Hummus
- Smoked German Beer Cheese Sauce
What to serve with Pizza Dip
We typically serve our wood fire dip with chips or slices of toasted baguette. Soft pita bread or garlic naan bread also so great with the dip. Chips or fried pasta chips also work well with the pizza dip appetizer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Leftover pizza dip should be covered and refrigerated. Leftovers should be consumed within 3 days.
Pizza dip is best reheated in a 300-degree oven for about 15-20 minutes, until warmed back through.
Thank you for taking the time to visit our blog. If you tried and enjoyed our recipe, please share with others and please leave us a comment and review. We also love to see your pics so don’t forget to tag us @Carne_Diem_Culinary or #CarneDiemBlog. To be notified of future recipes please follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest, or sign up for our e-mail notifications. Until next time, Carne Diem!
Wood Fire Pizza Dip
- Cast Iron Pan
- 16 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 8 Ounce Sour Cream
- 14 Ounce Pizza Sauce
- 1 Cup Pepperoni quartered
- ¼ Cup Spicy Salami chopped
- ⅓ Cup Green Onion finely diced
- 0.5 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 0.5 teaspoons Crushed Red Pepper
- 0.5 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 8 Ounce Mozzarella shredded
- Mix the softened cream cheese, sour cream, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, and garlic powder, until well combined and smooth.
- Coarsely chop the pepperonis and salami, and finely dice the green onion.
- Spread the cream cheese layer in a cast iron pan or oven proof dish. Spread the pizza sauce on top of the cream cheese layer.
- Next layer the pepperoni and salami and green onion. Top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- For a pizza oven, heat the oven to about 400 degrees and cook for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Rotate the pan about every 5 minutes.
- For a home oven or grill or smoker, set up for indirect heat and cook at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the dip is warmed through.
- Serve warm with chips, pita, or naan bread.