Origin: AmericanJump to Recipe
It is the time of year again where I start craving pie. Odd for March huh, but the reason is a couple years ago we started making a fantastic key lime pie recipe using a secret ingredient. Now that it is Girl Scout cookie season, we can stock up on our secret ingredient and start making the best Key Lime Pie ever. This Key Lime Pie uses Girl Scout Lemonade cookies, the best Girl Scout cookie ever (sorry Thin Mints) as a base for our pie crust. It is fantastic! We love baking with Girl Scout Cookies.
Our Girl Scout Key Lime-onade Pie, as our kids have started calling it, is super easy to make. It is also a fun and creative way to use some of the 42 boxes of Girl Scout cookies that you bought from the neighbor down the street. The most difficult part of the entire recipe may be trying to avoid eating a few cookies while you are making it.
Making the Girl Scout Key Lime Pie with Lemonade Cookie Crust
Making the Lemonade Cookie Crust
To make the crust for the pie you will need one 8.5 ounce package of Girl Scout Lemonades, 3 Graham crackers, and 6 tablespoons of butter. You will not need any sugar in the crust, because the frosting in the cookies provides plenty of sweetness.
As many of you are aware there are 2 companies that make Girl Scout cookies. We have not attempted this recipe with Girl Scout Lemon Ups, so if anyone tries it, be sure to let us know.
Place the Lemonades in a food processor, reserving 1 cookie for decorating.
Process the cookies until they are reduced to a fine powder. Add the Graham crackers and process, then add the melted butter and pulse to combine.
Once combined, press the mixture into the bottom of a pie dish. Spread evenly and up the sides of the pie dish. Your Girl Scout Lemonade cookie crust is complete!
Prepare the Key Lime Filling
Zest your key limes into a small bowl. If you cannot find key limes, you can substitute regular limes instead for the zest, but you want to use the real thing for the juice. You want a pretty fine zest, as long strands are not as appealing in the pie.
Combine the sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, and key lime juice in a bowl. Mix thoroughly until combined and smooth.
Mix in 1 tablespoon of the lime zest, and stir until completely combined.
Bake the Girl Scout Cookie Key Lime Pie
Pour the key lime filling into the Lemonade cookie crust. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
Bake the pie for 12-15 minutes, turning halfway through. You do not want the pie to brown so keep an eye on it. When you begin to see tiny bubbles forming at the surface of the pie, it is done cooking. Remove the pie from the heat and cool at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes.
After resting on the countertop, place the pie in the refrigerator and cool for at least 4 hours.
Making the Key Lime Whipped Cream Topping
The topping is best made and applied to the pie just before serving.
Combine the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of lime zest in a chilled bowl or mixer (using whisk/beaters that have also been chilled). Beat until stiff peaks are formed.
Top the pie with the whipped cream topping. Decorate as desired with limes, Girl Scout Cookies, or additional whipped cream.
Serving and pairing the Girl Scout Cookie Key Lime Pie
Serve the pie chilled and enjoy! This refreshing pie pairs perfectly with spicy dishes like our Caribbean Fire Shrimp or citrus marinated proteins like our Smoked Pernil- Puerto Rican Roast Pork Shoulder or Peruvian Roast Game Hens.
Girl Scout Key Lime Pie with Lemonade Cookie Crust
- Pie Pan
- Stand mixer or beater
- food processor
Girl Scout Cookie Crust
- 1 package Girl Scout Lemonades Cookies
- 3 Graham Crackers
- 6 Tablespoon Butter melted
- 2 14 oz Cans Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 Cup Key Lime Juice
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Key Lime Zest about 4 Key Limes
- 1/2 pint Heavy Cream
- 3 Tablespoon Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Lime Zest from 1 Key Lime pinch
Cookie Pie Crust
- In a food processor, chop the cookies and Graham crackers until fine. Add in the melted butter and pulse to combine.
- Press the cookie mixture into the bottom of a pie pan and up the sides.
Key Lime Filling
- Combine the sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice, sour cream, and lime zest in a medium bowl and stir until combined, smooth, and free of lumps.
- Pour the mixture in to the pie pan with the cookie crust and level it out.
Baking the pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the pie for 12-15 minutes, turning halfway through. You do not want the pie top brown. When you see tiny bubbles on the surface of pie it is done.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let the pie set at room temp for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the pie in the refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours.
Making the whipped topping
- Prepare the whipped topping just before serving. In a chilled bowl and using chilled mixing tools, add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and a pinch of Key Lime zest. Whip, scraping the sides occasionally, until fluffy.
- Top the pie, decorate it with the reserved cookie, lime slices or additional whip cream if desired. Serve chilled and enjoy!
Thank you so much for visiting our blog. If you tried and enjoyed our recipe please share with others. We also love to see your pics so don’t forget to tag us @Carne_Diem_Culinary or #CarneDiemBlog. To be notified of future recipes please follow us on Facebook or Instagram, or sign up for our e-mail notifications.